September 29, 2023
The Classical Orders: The Doric Order
Voith & Mactavish
2401 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Friday, September 29, 6-8PM
Saturday, September 30, 9AM-12PM
ICAA Members: $50 | General Public: $75 | Students: $40
5 AIA CES Learning Units
5 credits towards Certificate in Classical Architecture
*** This course is two parts: a classroom lecture and drafting session on Friday night at the offices of Voith & Mactavish, and an on-site lecture and sketching session on Saturday morning in Center City. ***
Join architects Scott O’Barr, AIA and Maggie Holsinger, AIA for an introductory course to the Doric Order. Students of all abilities will learn the history, proportions, details, and essential parts of this inspiring order by studying and drawing a column and entablature. This course is structured to provide both those who are new to the classical language and those looking to refresh their knowledge with a solid foundation on which to further explore the classical orders.
- Develop architectural literacy with the terminology and character of the Doric Order.
- Draw a block layout of the Doric Order to explore the proportional relationships of the constituent parts.
- Complete detailed drawings of a Doric base, capital and entablature to become familiar with the grammar, geometry and tectonic role of the individual parts.
- Look at syntax and principles of composition related to using the Doric Order in an architectural design.
- Examine applications and variations of the Doric type.