Designed by John Notman in 1857, the first service was held at The Church of the Holy Trinity on March 27, 1859. The large bell tower was added in 1867 under the supervision of George W. Hewitt of Fraser Furness & Hewitt. The church is also known for five stained glass windows designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Suggested location for beer/lunch: The Irish Pub, 2007 Walnut Street.
As the sketching social is casual in nature and open to all abilities and interest, participants may bring any media they choose to sketch. Suggested supplies are a pad of paper and pencils.
Join Scott O’Barr and the Institute of Classical Architecture & Art—Philadelphia for three delightful Saturday sessions of sketching the mastery of three spectacular John Notman churches, followed by discussion and beers at nearby pubs.
We will focus on three Episcopal Churches designed by John Notman between 1847 and 1859: The Church of the Holy Trinity, Saint Mark’s Church, and Saint Clement’s Church. All three Rittenhouse neighborhood structures are built of brownstone and demonstrate Notman’s mastery of Romanesque and Gothic Revival styles.
We’ll start sketching at 9:45AM and enjoy lunch together by noon at a local restaurant. Sketching socials are free to members and non-members alike; however, everyone pays their own way once we arrive at the pubs!
J. Scott O’Barr is a Senior Associate at John Milner Architects, the firm that recently completed renovation work for Saint Mark’s Church. Scott holds a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Tennessee, and has continued his education through the ICAA, where he received the Edward Vason Jones Prize for the Rome Drawing and Painting Tour.